Skip to content

Well, after having publicly and

January 27, 2004
by

Well, after having publicly and tragically announced that I was frogging Ljod, I spent the past week torturing it and I can provisionally say that I may not need to frog it. Here it is after being tortured:

I hung it sideways from a hanger for several days, binder-clipped to the hanger all along the button band, and let the weight of the thing stretch it width-wise. This resulted in a much less lush-feeling fabric of course, but it grew quite satisfactorily. Then of course the part below the bottom button didn’t get stretched so it looked crummy.

Angela suggested steam, so I stretched the #&@^# out of it with pins and steamed it, and it’s now wearable. Elka also brilliantly suggested that I knit up 2 of these, and insert them at the bottom of the side seams:

So I’ve knitted them, and I’ll keep them in my hip pocket (pun intended….) to be added someday down the road if it doesn’t hold its stretch.

Next time it gets washed it’ll be blocked with my Zonta blocking wires, inserted up the inner edge of the two button bands and along the side seams.

It needs to be worn over a skirt rather than pants, I think.

I still wonder if I’ve destroyed the natural fabric of the yarn and if the right thing to do would be to take it apart and start over…

By the way, the winner of the button poll was… me, actually, in that I got such a great collection of folks to offer me their opinions. I ended up going for elegance and choosing the silver, as you can see.

I did find one actual error in the pattern instructions (which I sent to Elsebeth Lavold and she’s included in her latest book errata), and I think the pattern could have been clearer about the best way to decrease at the sides of the cable gussets (I chose to move the edge knit stitch over the first purl stitch in the background by doing a decrease slanting toward the gusset – the chart implied something else, but this is what looked right to me when knitted).

I also raised the neckline about an inch. The V was supposed to start at the same time that the underarm bindoffs happen, but I wanted it to feel comfortable for work so I waited 8 rows to start the V and changed the number of rows between neckline decreases so it came out right.
I love, love, love the yarn, which is why I’m sort of worried that I’ve denatured it with all my torture. I”ve seen complaints on a knitting list that the yarn was uneven in thickness and full of little twiggy things – personally I found that the yarn was extremely regular, and tightly plyed (I really had to do something goofy to split it while knitting). And I’ve read that the presence of lots of twiggy things is a sign that the yarn was not over-processed in the production. I’ll take that!

This was started on December 2nd, sewn together on January 19th, and tortured with blocking and stretching and steam from then until today. It was a great quick knit for mindless times like hanging out while Emily took a bath, or sitting at stoplights.

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: