Skip to content

1100%

May 22, 2006
by

That is approximately the amount by which our subliminal advertising campaign increased our blog comment traffic. There must be something to it after all…
St Enda is finished.

It really turned out to be a cozy, well-fitting sweater.

It didn’t come out perfectly according to plan (of course), and I think the main reason for that is that I did not go so far as to wash and block a swatch before I made my measurements. If I were to undertake such a major redesign of a sweater’s shaping again, I would make a big swatch and wash it before measuring my gauge. But it’s not too bad.

The shoulders are a little too wide. Although it lies ok thanks to a good block, the shoulders still drop a tad. You can see that my shoulder ends approximately at the single column of knit stitches, but that the shoulder seam is a but further out than that. But the big benefit is in the absence of all that baggy bunching under the arms and over the upper arm that happens so often with a plain saddle. I’d say this was a success.

Here’s the business area of things.

You can see where I did a little steek for the neckband, and where the shoulder decrease line lay. See that vertical line of knits? That’s where the shoulder decrease line should have lain. Oh well, only 9 stitches off.

I also made a neckband facing instead of just casting off the neckband, because it makes a much nicer neckline. I did K1P1 ribbing on the inside and tacked down the live stitches. I turned it just a tad too far under, but I didn’t want ribbing to peek out at the top of the patterned neckband, so I erred on the side of caution.

I neglected to take a picture of how I finished the tops of the saddles, so here is where you get to practice having “the vision thing.” Here is a detail of the main cable motif, which runs up the saddles.

I closed off the center of the motif at the top of the saddle but still had about 10 rows to go before I had used up all the body stitches. So instead of opening up a new center motif that would just be stopped in midstream, I took those two outside bits and crossed them over the top of the closed motif. It actually finished things off nicely. Maybe I’ll remember to take a picture of that next week.

I used 12 or 13 balls of Berroco Bluefaced Leicester (discontinued, unfortunately – this is one great yarn), size 6 and 7 needles (one down from what Al*ce S called for in Aran Knitting), and it took from March 17th to May 17th. That is pretty fast for me to knit a complete adult sized sweater. I think I was just compelled by the shaping changes and wanted to push ahead to see how it worked out. I would definitely do this again.

I’ve put my Flower Basket back at the front of my knitting queue, now, so it’s progressing again, and I’m nearly done with Emily’s neon rainbow socks. I’ve discovered that I need to go against conventional wisdom on sock toe shaping to make a truly good fit for her funny little squared-off toes, so I do the every-other-row decreases but don’t then do any every-row decreases. It looks very strange until I put it on her foot and then it looks – well, like it was made for her. Imagine that.

Advertisements
14 Comments leave one →
  1. May 22, 2006 11:45 am

    WOW! That’s a beautiful sweaters — I really like the saddle shoulders and the “pretzel” cable is cool.
    Excellent job!

  2. sam permalink
    May 22, 2006 12:52 pm

    Holy cow, Caro, that came out beautifully!!! Congratulations. 🙂

  3. May 22, 2006 1:17 pm

    Beautiful sweater!! It looks great on you, too.
    I think two months is very admirable, especially because there were lots of events and other projects going on at the same time!

  4. Debbie/St. Louis permalink
    May 22, 2006 1:43 pm

    Gorgeous! And it looks like a great fit – if you hadn’t mentioned the shoulders, I wouldn’t have known. Nice work!

  5. Melanie permalink
    May 22, 2006 2:27 pm

    Wowza, what a beautiful job you’ve done on St. Enda! It’s just gorgeous and it looks so good on you.

  6. May 22, 2006 6:06 pm

    “Not too bad”? That’s a big understatement! I’d say it turned out just about perfect. Nice stitch definition with that yarn, too.

  7. May 23, 2006 9:31 am

    Fabamundo! The color, the cut and the clarity are all there, baby. Congrats for finishing this challenging project and for allowing there to be Zen Design Features. Good for you! It really is so beautiful.

  8. tracy_a permalink
    May 23, 2006 12:26 pm

    Very nicely done. The sleeve seam/armhole shaping is very skillful. I’ll have to go back and re-read the posts on how you calculated it. Beautiful sweater.
    BTW, Prudence – Elizabeth’s new best friend is Prudence – of Once Upon A Potty fame…she’s saying Prudence all the time.

  9. May 23, 2006 9:28 pm

    St. Enda looks like it was made for you – can’t wait to see Emmy’s socks.

  10. May 24, 2006 1:08 pm

    St Enda is beautiful! I like the saddle shoulders, they’re on my list of things to try.

  11. Denise permalink
    May 26, 2006 9:43 pm

    Absolutely lovely, Caroline!

  12. May 27, 2006 10:51 am

    that is gorgeous!

  13. May 27, 2006 9:30 pm

    The sweater turned out beautiful! Awesome color.

  14. May 28, 2006 9:44 am

    Man. Are you clever or what.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: