Skip to content

A time to ply

September 3, 2007
by

It was almost all about plying this weekend.

I finished a first bobbin of singles on Quebec.

It turned out to be about 2.5 ounces. I plyed it from a center pull ball. I ended up with 2.5 ounces and between 270 and 300 yards, sort of fingering weight.

I love this wheel. It makes me happy to spin on it. I am looking into the possibility of getting the faster whorl for it…

I finally finished the endless handdyed combed Rambouillet project.

I forget how much fleece it was to begin with, but it ended up being about 12 ounces of 3 ply, poofy yarn. Someone suggested the Elizabeth Zimmerman ‘rib warmer’ pattern from Knitting Workshop and I think it’ll be perfect for that. I am so ready to be spinning something else on that little wheel. I bought 8 ounces of CVM/Romeldale cross roving after spin night the other night and I may try that out at our next spin night.

I also plyed the spindle-spun camel/silk that I’ve been piddling away on for a long time. I had two cops on two spindles – I slid them onto knitting needles and put them onto my lazy kate and plyed away. It came out pretty.

It’s 1.1 ounces and about 150 yards. I was very lucky, there was only the teeniest amount of singles left from one cop. I have almost 7 more ounces of this fiber, which Melanie brought me as a hostess gift a couple of years ago, so I can spin on with this for awhile.

Some knitting did happen. The afghan will probably be done by next weekend, I have about 6 rows of pattern and then a couple of inches of seed stitch border to go. I got into the border on “Bee Fields” and started making the little butterfly motifs:

This is a very clever little thing that is not at all difficult to execute, despite looking like something funky with wrapped stitches is going on. It’s built with increasingly long loops created by numbers of dropped yarnovers, which you then gather together with two knit stitches. The stitches slide back and forth on the loops, so the shape of this will depend upon having yarn that takes a good block. (The picture is shown the way the shawl will hang when worn, but upside down to how you execute it, so you need to look at that little thing in the middle and imagine it being knitted by the needle lying at the bottom of the photo…)

I also finished up the foot of my first Widdershins sock, following some very good directions on how to size it up for a yarn that knits at a smaller gauge. It seems to be coming out pretty well. I tend to like my socks with some negative ease in the length of the foot because otherwise the heels stretch out and stick up out of my shoes, and I kind of needed that in this case because of the short yardage in the skein.

So much fiber, so little time.

Advertisements
4 Comments leave one →
  1. September 3, 2007 8:40 pm

    Obviously you and the CPW are the best of friends; the skein of Shetland is beautifully spun!
    How the heck do you get the cop to slide off the spindle? I never have any luck with that. The rambo and camel/silk both look yummy.
    It looks like you’ve got a perfect fit with the Widdershins sock.

  2. September 4, 2007 12:49 pm

    Wow. That wheel is soooo gorgeous! And so is your spinning. 🙂

  3. Sam permalink
    September 5, 2007 10:31 pm

    Wowza – gorgeous yarn and wahoo on the socks. Those have been on my to do list for ever so long! I’m enjoying watching you get acquainted with your new wheel!

  4. Roberta permalink
    September 10, 2007 4:05 pm

    Ah . . . beautifully spun yarn. When I need inspiration I visit this site.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: