Once Jan started with her flax spinning series, I just wanted to let those be out there for awhile without jumping to the head of the screen.
But there has been knitting here. I am shockingly behind on showing what I’ve knitted this year so let’s catch up.
A long time ago I showed a partly knit Azami. Not long after I took those pictures I went and read the part of the pattern where the hood is knitted in, and realized I’d overlooked that the edging of the hood goes down all the way down into the neckline, thus producing the V shape that was puzzlingly absent from what I had already done. So I ripped out the back neck and finished it with the same lace that would have been knitted on as the base of the hood, then put a garter border on the front neck, using some short rows to make it shaped correctly without it being attached to a hood. It’s a pretty sweater that I’ll start wearing as soon as the weather allows for long sleeves.
I finished this in June. Wow, that feels like a long time ago. The yarn was Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Linen, which is 50/50 cotton and linen. I was hoping to be able to machine wash and dry this, so it would not become stiff, but when I washed and dried my swatch, it shrank up vertically to an alarming degree, so I’m going to have to find another way to make sure this doesn’t turn into burlap.
I never did post much of anything here about Cable and Lattice. This was a Vermont Fiber Designs pattern that I have had for ages, set aside with some Cascade 220 that I bought especially for it. I finally finished it this April. I hope we have cold enough weather that I can get some wear out of it.
I submitted this to the skein and garment competition but they did not like my sleeve seams. Which I can understand, as doing mattress stitch on reverse-stockinette is a thankless job. Any brilliant ideas on how to make attractive seams in reverse-stockinette fabric?
I finished this in April, but I started it in December. There’s no good reason it took so long, as it was not a difficult pattern. I guess there were just too many other projects happening.
After getting these projects off my lap I was able to embark on some summer knitting.
Rosemary started releasing a series of small shawls, intended to be made with a skein of sock yarn. I liked the first one, Merope, so much that I knitted it in less than three weeks. I had just spun four ounces of delicious bluefaced leicester and tussah fiber from Wool Gatherings that I got from my local yarn shop’s MS&W stock, which was just about fingering weight, and I couldn’t wait to knit with it. Here it is, photographed with the Frederic Bordua wheel that spun the yarn.
The pattern was cleverly designed, beginning at the bottom point and creating its border points by increasing and decreasing within the border pattern while at the same time increasing the center section to grow the triangle. It may not have been ideal for a variegated yarn, but frankly, nobody has to like it but me, and I do. It’s a nice size to tie around my shoulders if the office is cold.
Emmy is growing and it’s time for another hoodie. She likes her clothes big and roomy, so I got a copy of the classic Wonderful Wallaby pattern – it has sizes from toddler to big adult, so I’ll be able to make her sweaters from this as long as she’s willing to wear handknits. She wanted it in her school colors, so while that makes somewhat unfortunate knitting for me, it’ll make her wear it more! And really this is the nicest orange I have ever seen. It’s Cascade 220, in the colors “tangerine heather” and “jet heather” and it’s working up quite nicely. The body is complete to the armholes and awaiting the sleeves.
This project sat around most of the summer because for quite awhile it was just too hot to think of picking up worsted weight wool, but now it’s moving along again.
I was kind of pleased to see that the way they do the front pocket was quite similar to the way I threw a front pocket on her blue hoodie some time ago.
Since mid summer I’ve been working on the intricate Lissajous knee socks, by Cookie A. from the first issue of Twist Collective. They were something I put off starting because they use twisted stitches (twists on every row, ouch!), but at last their beauty overcame my desire to avoid twisted stitches. I had some handspun that I’ve been saving for knee socks for quite awhile now – some Lisa Souza bluefaced leicester fiber in the Peacock color – so I set off.
They do take time.
Some parts hurt my hands to knit, and I can’t do too much at once, but for the most part it isn’t too bad. I can’t do it without a cable needle because the stitches have to be twisted, which I can’t do correctly without a cable needle. Still, I have one entire sock done and about 1/3 of the second.
There was a short trip to Quebec in the summer, accompanied by some spinning wheel action, but that will have to wait for another day.
Oh, yeah, and the haircut people keep asking about: